To my fellow adventurers gearing up for the best time of your lives, I applaud you. It may seem like a never ending mountain of paper work, planning, and anticipation. Don’t worry, soon your hard work will pay off. In the midst of all the planning you might forget to think about what your first few days will be like when you arrive at your destination. I’m here to prepare you with some challenges you might face when your first touch down in your country.
1. You are not Beyoncé. You will not have an entourage waiting for you at the airport. Unless you have someone from your host University picking you up, chances are you will probably have to figure out your own transportation to your accommodations.
2. In that case, don’t be afraid to get a Taxi! Make sure you use caution when choosing a taxi. Only get in if it is a certified one. Have your student housing address written down if you are unable to speak the language.
3. However make sure you know some of the basics of the local language such as hello, please, thank you, days of week (for bus schedule) prior to arrival. Or else you might catch yourself like this ↓
4. When you arrive to your room make sure you set up WiFi and let everyone know you have arrived safe. Don’t be broken-hearted if your WiFi isn’t as fast as your Telus optimum. A poor connection is better than none at all.
5. Your first night will be extremely exciting… then possibly lonely. Don’t judge your experience off that. Make sure you go to all your schools functions to meet people who are going through the exact same thing as you are!
6. Pack some of your staple foods i.e. Kraft dinner and Chocolate bars. Comfort foods will make you feel at home. It will also save your parents from a very expensive care package later on that month.
7. Pack a heavy duty electrical adapter. Maybe 3? Having an adapter to charge your laptop, phone and to do your hair is pure bliss. It’s easier to buy these before you set out on your journey.
8. Locate your nearest IKEA to buy household goods at a fraction of the price. But before you start you will need to energize on some meatballs. But remember food is while supplies last only so make sure it’s the first thing you do! (Made that mistake one too many times!)
9. But REMEMBER! When you buy something…you will have to carry it up 4 flights of stairs. Pick your battles wisely my friends!
10. Wherever you decide to go, you will have the time of your life! So enjoy the moment. Make new friends. Learn new things. Set new goals. Studying Abroad will be one of the greatest adventures of your lifetime 🙂
Study Abroad Ambassador 2013-2014. Studied at Universite de Lyon for 1 semester in Lyon, France.
Gif credits: http://www.buzzfeed.com/lucyh3/studying-abroad-in-paris-as-told-by-buddy-the-elf-147h,http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/huh-gif,http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/beyonce-gif,http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/18/trip-to-ikea-gifs_n_3461501.html,http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/happy-dance-gif,http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/excited-gifs, http://globerove.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Plug-Adaptor-France.jpg