Have some questions?

We have partners in almost every continent! To search available schools through bilateral, Google TRU Study Abroad and click search programs. To search for available schools with ISEP, Google isep.org abd type in TRU as Host Institution.

Ideally, studying abroad should be done during the second or third year of your degree. It depends. The earlier the better, however, many students are recognizing it will take longer to complete an undergraduate.

You have the chance to study abroad for up to two semesters.

You can:
1. Study abroad for two semesters back to back (ie. a full academic year abroad)
2. Study abroad for two semesters separately (ie. one semester abroad per academic year; for a maximum of two academic years)
3. Study abroad for a single semester.

This is entirely up to you

There is no flat rate for the costs of studying abroad! It will ultimately depend on: the cost of living in the host country (i.e. food, rent, utilities), your TRU tuition (which doesn’t change), medical insurance costs, travel expenses (i.e plane ticket, cell phone bill), student/residence Visa, and what you plan to do in your leisure time! A lot of the variation in expenses comes from your personal desires. Although many students take advantage of their time abroad by travelling extensively, you can plan your study abroad experience to fit your budget needs!

You can visit
https://tru.ca/studyabroad/apply/info-sessions.html for a list of all our information dates throughout the year, or you can look for one of our posters on campus.

Also look on our Facebook Page to see upcoming planned events which have been scheduled by the Study Abroad Ambassadors

The process is non-competitive and have to have a cumulative TRU GPA of 2.5 for Bilateral, or 2.75 for ISEP.

No, this will not be a problem. A majority of courses offered at partner schools are in English.

You can, however, opt to take classes in the local language (a language proficiency test is first required).

You must remain a full time student when you are studying abroad. This means you must take a minimum of 9 TRU Credits. When studying abroad, students need to think credits versus courses.

If planned accordingly, you can Study Abroad and still graduate within 4 years. To ensure your degree is not delayed, plan early and talk to your program adviser.

Although studying abroad in your final year is not recommended, it is entirely possible (with enough planning)

Absolutely! Many students wishing to study abroad in Australia, Chile or Germany will be studying abroad during the summer months. This reason is because semester dates do not align with ours in Canada.

There are also short term summer programs students can participate in at a range of schools in Korea, Germany, Spain and Italy.

It is not recommended. If you are planning to participate in Convocation, then you should not go because the transcripts from where you are studying will not be sent to us in time to have the credits assessed.

Yes! The Studying Abroad program is designed to cost the same as if you were living independently and studying at the TRU campus. You are able to continue receiving student loan payments while you’re studying abroad and if you’re receiving band funding, most will continue supporting you as well. All successful Study Abroad applicants receive a $1000 bursary from TRU. Better yet, there are many scholarships offer specifically to students studying abroad. Click here for more info on Scholarships and Awards.

A visa is simply permission to live, tour, work, study or move to a different country. Each host country’s process is different, but most require that you obtain either a resident or student visa. Student or resident visas are usually obtained in Canada before you depart. It is a bit of paperwork, sometimes has a cost, and sometimes involves a trip to Vancouver to a Consulate. But, it is necessary part of living legally while studying abroad in another country. The visa process does not begin until you have been accepted to be a Study Abroad student at TRU and you have also been accepted by a host university abroad by being issued an official letter of acceptance.

You can’t apply for a visa until after your host university accepts your application which TRU’s study abroad office submits on your behalf. Once the acceptance letter comes in you are free to book your visa and flight. Visa time varies some, are electronic and only take a few days where others may take upwards of a six weeks so the earlier you can apply, the better.

Note: A travel visa is not the same thing as a Visa credit card, but it’s easy to confuse!

Basically, your personal statement should be a 500 word document about yourself. Tell us why you want to study abroad, what you hope to get out of the experience. Try and show your character through it, and perhaps discuss what drives you to study abroad.

No, unfortunately, the study abroad program is only eligible to undergraduate students.

This is explained in our information session. While you are abroad you must be a full time student, which means that you need to take the equivalent of 9 TRU credits or more. If you want to take course(s) toward your degree then they must be at least a 80% content match. Once TRU receives your official transcript, then TRU’s Credit Transfer office will assess the courses. Make sure you save all your material for the courses you take.